Friday, May 8, 2015

When you left

"Time fixes everything.", he sighed as he stuffed his cold hands deeper into his pocket and looked hard at the broken road. The bright street light shimmered at the edge of his spectacles like a tiny little fire.
"That is what I'm afraid of", I sobbed. "I'm afraid of time." My head was a whirlwind of despair, threatening to blow away any last dregs of sanity. My body felt leaden and I could hardly move in fear that the slightest change would end these last moments forever.
He wouldn't look at me. He kept scanning the cracks and crevices on the battered old road. "You want me to feel guilty for the rest of my life?"
"No, I'm just so terrified that one day I won't remember your face, I won't remember your eyes. There will come a time when I will have to pause to recall your name. I will lose your memory amongst countless other memories and my best efforts won't be able to breathe life back into them. Then you will be just a string of thought like a torn piece of cloth from a beautiful dress. With each passing moment it will get thinner and thinner until it disappears forever into the unreachable depths of my mind, among the other unimportant things."
The wind howled maliciously, stirring up little whorls of dust. Somewhere, a window banged shut and my heart skipped a beat. "If you love me, you will let me go", he said.
Fear seized me like a deadly disease, creeping it's way to every last corner of my body. I remained perfectly still; wishing that by some divine intervention, time stops at this moment. Wishing that the two of us could be frozen and embedded into this tiny little sliver of time because the next moment will separate us.
The next moment, the process of forgetting will begin. Each and every second that we etched into the gigantic mural of memories will be removed one by one until all I have left is a blank wall. In desperation, I will force myself to draw new moments to cover it's barrenness. As one will get replaced by the other, so will I. The girl standing before him will be shrouded by a carefully painted veil.
"I will never be the same without you", I pleaded as my tears blurred my vision. "I will never be this person again."
As he walked away, disturbing the stillness of things, I continued to cling on to the unmoving piece of land beneath my feet. The world around me gave way to destruction and desolation as the process of destroying my memories began against my will.

3 comments:

  1. This was long overdue and I am glad that it has finally come out. Lovely read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks hubby. :) I am glad that you could uncover all the layers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete